#staff | Logs for 2014-09-13

« return
[00:00:06] <Bytram> NCommander: ummm, what's that?
[00:00:11] <mrcoolbp> reddit gold
[00:00:28] <NCommander> Well, on reddit, eveyr post as a "Give Gold" which you can gift it, and it happens frequently enough that there's money to be had there
[00:00:30] <NCommander> I think
[00:01:23] <Bytram> so, I read a post (== story?) and if I like it, I can 'give gold' ??
[00:01:46] <NCommander> Bingo
[00:01:56] <NCommander> We can gift subscriptions as they are now
[00:03:15] <Bytram> NCommander: interesting! So, it would *not* be considered a donation -- but more like a payment for services rendered? So, no tax law issues?
[00:04:04] <NCommander> Bytram, if we did a monthly version of the script for say 3 dollars, and then allowed it to be easily gifted
[00:04:06] <NCommander> I could see it working
[00:04:11] <NCommander> We already allow gift subscriptions
[00:04:16] <TheMightyBuzzard> hell, the mechanics are already written for it in the form of gift subscriptions. we'd just need to script up a button and allow partial subs to be bought.
[00:04:38] <Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: like an auto-renewing, monthly subscription?
[00:05:10] <Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: oh, nvm. I misread what you wrote.
[00:05:11] <TheMightyBuzzard> probably one-shot donation of a buck n change for a month
[00:05:26] <Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: k, thanks!
[00:05:27] <mrcoolbp> <mythterj> Question from the floor: Is it true that Swag brought in less than 100 bucks ? If so how much did subscriptions bring in in the same period?
[00:05:39] <mrcoolbp> .voice mytherj
[00:05:46] <mrcoolbp> .voice mythterj
[00:05:46] -!- mode/#staff [+v mythterj] by juggler
[00:05:57] <paulej72> if the price is too small it gets eaten up in fees
[00:06:21] <Bytram> paulej72: what kind of fees do we have?
[00:06:28] <mrcoolbp> mythterj: yes, more than 10x that amount, we reviewed that earlier
[00:06:31] <paulej72> paypal
[00:07:12] <paulej72> think it is .88 per, but might be moe for cc trans
[00:07:34] <Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: you recently coded up bitcoin support... what kind of fees does that kind of transaction entail?
[00:07:42] <paulej72> not sure waht the bitpay fees are
[00:08:01] <NCommander> I thought paypal had some sorta microtransaction feature with reduced merchant fees for stuf flike this
[00:08:02] <mrcoolbp> We lose $.88 on each of our $20 transactions, it might be a percentage AND/OR fixed not sure exactly
[00:08:05] <TheMightyBuzzard> zero until we hit... um... lemme get back to you on that
[00:08:29] <TheMightyBuzzard> i wanna say our first million is fee-free but it might be a decimal point either way.
[00:08:39] <TheMightyBuzzard> afterwards it's a flat 1% fee
[00:08:40] <mythterj> Mrcoolbe: Thanks. I might have misses where the bulk came from, joined late. We need to push subscriptions.
[00:08:45] <Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: thanks!
[00:09:10] <TheMightyBuzzard> fees come out of the buyer's end though. we get what we charge.
[00:09:27] <Bytram> TheMightyBuzzard: nice to know. thanks!
[00:09:36] <mrcoolbp> mythterj: we have a plan to put a "Funding Goal" progress bar up very soon linking to the breakdown of what our plans for the money consists of
[00:09:40] <Bytram> okay, I think we were discussing "Issue 6: Start repayment of initial cash investments by Matt_ and NCommander? Maybe $20-$25/person/month?"
[00:09:47] <NCommander> I'm fine deferring that
[00:09:53] <NCommander> I rather see us be independent first
[00:09:59] * NCommander waits for matt_'s 2 cents
[00:10:01] <matt_> ^^^^
[00:10:08] <mrcoolbp> Bytram: looks like they'd both like to defer until we have a little more cash flow
[00:10:31] <mrcoolbp> Bytram, and on Item #2 I'm thinking we should flesh that out before the board "ACK"s it
[00:11:15] <Bytram> how long before we should revisit this decsion? 2/3 months? start of the new year?
[00:11:30] <matt_> mrcoolbp, Bytram, on Item #2, it would be good to put it to an all-staff vote, then if it passes, have the board adopt it.
[00:11:48] <mrcoolbp> even better
[00:11:55] <matt_> Bytram, start of new year is fine by me (unless we get inexplicably rich before then).
[00:11:59] * mrcoolbp shudders at the thought of a vote
[00:12:40] <Bytram> NCommander: how does the start of the new year sound to you for revisiting when we should take another look at paying you back? okay?
[00:12:46] <NCommander> works for me
[00:12:52] <mrcoolbp> TODO: The Board: revisit repaying benefactors on or around Jan 1st 2015
[00:12:57] <mrcoolbp> = )
[00:12:58] <Bytram> NCommander: thanks!!
[00:13:47] <mrcoolbp> okay, are we looking at nominating an officer?
[00:14:00] <matt_> nominate away!
[00:14:19] <Bytram> I make a motion that board discussion on "Issue 2: Follow-up on SoylentNews Policy Document - Updates: " be tabled for now. Upon such time that it has been reviewed, and then sent out to staff for approval, then bring it back to the board?
[00:14:45] <mrcoolbp> yes, that seems logical
[00:14:49] <matt_> Bytram sounds good.
[00:14:51] * Bytram notes that bad english is my specialty tonight.
[00:15:23] <Bytram> since I'm the usual suspect in reviewing docs, who wants to review my stuff?
[00:15:52] <matt_> i think mrcoolbp already volunteered for that.
[00:16:16] <Bytram> hmm, crutchy offered some comments on the doc already, too. I'll see if I can get him to take a look-see.
[00:16:23] <paulej72> get an ed to,look at it too
[00:16:27] <Bytram> matt_: yes, I forgot. thanks!
[00:16:39] <Bytram> paulej72: brilliant! thanks!
[00:17:00] <mrcoolbp> Bytram: yeah I need to once-over the whole thing and then I guess we can see if anyone has anything they'd like to add. I'm sure we'll need to add things as times goes by, but I'm not sure the board really has to ack each one, it's more of a site-governance than a business-type thing
[00:17:01] <Bytram> matt_: there's some legal ramifications in there pertaining to copyrights, I'd appreciate your trained eye on that.
[00:17:40] <Bytram> mrcoolbp: in general, I'd agree. when it comes to copyrights, and who *owns* what, that's a different matter, no?
[00:17:42] <matt_> Bytram, will do. i'll wait until mrcoolbp has a go, and then take a close look.
[00:17:51] <Bytram> matt_: much obliged!
[00:17:57] <mrcoolbp> Sure, sounds good guys.
[00:18:08] <Bytram> mrcoolbp: pls send matt_ and me a head's up when you're done.
[00:18:14] <mrcoolbp> sure
[00:18:49] <Bytram> great!
[00:19:16] <matt_> mrcoolbp, you mentioned nominations. nominate now or forever hold your peace!
[00:19:28] <mrcoolbp> "<+matt_> I nominate Bytram for the position of Assistant Treasurer."
[00:19:32] <mrcoolbp> hehehe
[00:19:38] <matt_> do i hear a second?
[00:19:47] <NCommander> ack
[00:19:48] <mrcoolbp> Second
[00:19:58] <Bytram> umm, what are the the duties?
[00:20:05] <mrcoolbp> nothing yet =)
[00:20:14] <mrcoolbp> but I imagine
[00:20:25] <mrcoolbp> Treasurer's reports on wiki will be one of them = )
[00:20:31] * Bytram is pretty sure he can handle doing nothing. at least for the time being.
[00:21:07] <Bytram> I'll get back to you on that once I see what the reports look like.
[00:21:19] <mrcoolbp> Guys: we are approaching the two-hour mark, I have lots to work on
[00:21:33] <matt_> Bytram, would you like to accept the board's nomination or defer until the next meeting?
[00:21:45] <matt_> (would still require a vote)
[00:21:53] <Bytram> btw, ISTR in an early board meeting that there was discussion of needing a chairman of the baord and that my name was mentioned...it was held off as I was not in attendance.
[00:22:15] <Bytram> if THAT is still a consideration, I doubt I coul dhandle both roles.
[00:23:26] <mrcoolbp> We've kind of all been co-chairing lately
[00:23:55] <paulej72> need a fifth board member
[00:23:56] <matt_> Bytram, i believe that our bylaws currently contemplate the Chairman being a Director, so we would need to first expand the board before electing one.
[00:24:03] <Bytram> matt_: I'm leaning to accept the nomination.
[00:24:24] <Bytram> but, it's late, and I prefer not to leap before I look.
[00:24:29] <matt_> which is a whole other discussion...
[00:24:33] <mrcoolbp> okay, issue number one then = )
[00:24:41] <matt_> k. sounds good.
[00:24:41] <Bytram> so, may I get back to you on that at the next board meeting?
[00:24:41] <mrcoolbp> (for the next meeting)
[00:25:33] <mrcoolbp> Issue One: Expand Board? Bytram has been nominated at least for an officer position and paulej72 was mentioned as well as a candidate.
[00:25:49] <mrcoolbp> Issue 2: recap on the Policy Document effores
[00:25:54] <Bytram> works for me.
[00:25:55] <mrcoolbp> efforts
[00:26:55] <Bytram> mrcoolbp: shall we retain the current "Issue 2" on the wiki?
[00:27:17] <mrcoolbp> Bytram: maybe we should look at those items, yeah let's leave as-is
[00:27:25] <Bytram> okay.
[00:27:36] <Bytram> that's all I got. anyone else have anything?
[00:28:25] <matt_> nope
[00:28:31] <NCommander> no
[00:28:39] <mrcoolbp> no
[00:29:01] <Bytram> is there a motion to adjourn?
[00:30:00] <Bytram> matt_ NCommander mrcoolbp "Motion to adjourn" is there a second?
[00:30:12] <matt_> second
[00:30:22] <NCommander> third
[00:30:24] <Bytram> seconded. All in favor?
[00:30:27] <matt_> Aye!
[00:30:44] <mrcoolbp> Aye!
[00:31:00] <Bytram> meeting adjourned!
[00:31:04] <Bytram> thanks everyone!
[00:31:18] <mrcoolbp> thanks
[00:31:20] * Bytram will restoer #staff and #soylent /topics
[00:31:56] Bytram changed topic of #staff to: Everyone that doesn't have a voice or operator status in this channel: your messages will be forwarded to the channel ops (if there are none, feel free to PM an active user in the channel). | This channel is logged: http://logs.sylnt.us | SN PBC Board Meeting - Fri, Sept. 12 at 22:30 UTC (6:30pm EDT) in #staff, all are welcome
[00:32:09] <Bytram> mrcoolbp: matt_ NCommander when's the next board meeting?
[00:32:11] <matt_> oops, when is the next meeting!
[00:32:20] <mrcoolbp> uh
[00:33:02] <Bytram> do we need to do anything *soon*, or can we wait a couple weeks?
[00:33:03] <mrcoolbp> Wed Sep 24 7pm?
[00:33:05] <NCommander> I'm tied up Tuesday and Thursday my mornings
[00:33:25] <mrcoolbp> or Oct 1
[00:33:35] * Bytram loads his schedule
[00:33:35] -!- rand [rand!~rand@cea-547.64-463-42.nts-online.net] has parted #staff
[00:33:57] <matt_> mrcoolbp, either of those wednesdays works for me.
[00:34:55] <Bytram> mrcoolbp: I'm working late shift on wed 9/24
[00:35:38] <mrcoolbp> Oct 1?
[00:35:45] <Bytram> I could do sat 9/27 at any time
[00:35:57] * mrcoolbp works saturdays usually
[00:35:59] <matt_> minutes posted: http://wiki.soylentnews.org
[00:36:16] <Bytram> matt_: Thank-You!
[00:36:27] <Bytram> mrcoolbp: nvm, then
[00:37:15] <Bytram> atm, I have 10/1 off... have something at 7pm, but cold reschedule that if needed.
[00:37:20] <Bytram> s/cold/could/
[00:37:41] <mrcoolbp> Bytram: I could also take a day off at some point
[00:37:57] <mrcoolbp> NCommander: 7pm EST is 3pm AK ?
[00:38:58] <Bytram> mrcoolbp: hold on
[00:39:06] <mrcoolbp> I am
[00:39:19] <mrcoolbp> just checking if a tuesday might be better
[00:39:20] <Bytram> atm: Friday, 12 September 2014 @ 4:39 pm AKDT - Anchorage, AK
[00:39:23] <matt_> are sundays a possibility?
[00:39:41] <mrcoolbp> matt_ not really for me
[00:39:47] <matt_> ok.
[00:39:50] <NCommander> mrcoolbp, yeah
[00:39:52] * mrcoolbp is working for the weekend = )
[00:40:13] <Bytram> mrcoolbp: do your weekends include friday?
[00:40:30] <mrcoolbp> I happen to have today off, but my schedule varies week-week
[00:40:46] <paulej72> lets make every day a weekebd
[00:41:03] <mrcoolbp> I could easily take a tueday off, but I'll definitely be away Oct 3-5
[00:41:04] <Bytram> mrcoolbp: same here... just happened to get updated schedule today and, amazingly, can see through month's end
[00:41:18] <mrcoolbp> Bytram: I'm jealous
[00:41:39] <Bytram> sometimes, ignorance *is* bliss.
[00:42:03] <juggs> ugh - I missed it again - man my sleepy clock is messed up lately!
[00:42:14] <mrcoolbp> juggs: welcome
[00:42:22] <juggs> hi mrcoolbp
[00:42:31] <juggs> just catching some scroll back :D
[00:42:33] <Bytram> how 'bout tues 9/30 at 6PM EDT?
[00:42:52] <mrcoolbp> Bytram: I think 7pm works better for matt_
[00:42:57] <Bytram> k
[00:43:04] <Bytram> how 'bout tues 9/30 at 7PM EDT?
[00:43:20] <mrcoolbp> NCommander: would 7pm EDT on a tuesday interfere with your previous engagements?
[00:43:22] <matt_> ideally 7pm, but 6pm is ok if you guys prefer it.
[00:43:42] <mrcoolbp> (6pm is fine with me, but 7pm works just as well)
[00:43:42] <NCommander> mrcoolbp, that should be fine for me. I should be free at noon
[00:44:31] <mrcoolbp> okay, let's run with Tuesday September 30th at 7pm EDT (11pm UTC??)
[00:44:44] <matt_> great!
[00:44:54] <Bytram> oh feh!
[00:45:22] <Bytram> I just realized I can't really skip my 7:30pm engagement on 9/30.
[00:45:33] <mrcoolbp> = (
[00:45:34] <Bytram> well, I guess I could.
[00:45:37] <mrcoolbp> lol
[00:45:47] <mrcoolbp> Bytram: we're not asking you to do that
[00:45:59] <TheMightyBuzzard> you'd be amazed what you can skip if you really have a mind to
[00:46:37] <matt_> do we want to push it to 6pm?
[00:46:50] * Bytram has something pretty much every day and night of the week. All day thursday I generally have off.
[00:47:20] <Bytram> we only have 3 items to discuss, atm. we should be able to wrap it up in under 5 hours, right?
[00:47:26] <Bytram> =)
[00:47:49] <Bytram> matt_: if it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate it.
[00:48:25] <matt_> NCommander, mrcoolbp ^^^ push the next meeting to Tuesday, September 30, 6pm EDT (22:00 UTC)?
[00:48:51] <mrcoolbp> sure
[00:49:27] <NCommander> k
[00:49:50] <Bytram> I *really* appreciate it! thanks guys!!!!!!!!
[00:50:51] Bytram changed topic of #staff to: Everyone that doesn't have a voice or operator status in this channel: your messages will be forwarded to the channel ops (if there are none, feel free to PM an active user in the channel). | This channel is logged: http://logs.sylnt.us | SN PBC Board Meeting - Tue, Sept. 30 at 22:00 UTC (6:00pm EDT) in #staff, all are welcome
[00:53:25] <Bytram> .deop
[00:53:25] -!- mode/#staff [-o Bytram] by juggler
[00:53:46] Bytram is now known as Bytram|away
[00:54:10] <Bytram|away> calling it a night, all. thanks again!
[00:54:22] <TheMightyBuzzard> nite
[00:54:42] -!- Bytram|away has quit [Quit: Leaving]
[00:57:15] -!- mythterj [mythterj!mythterj@tonvizu.sdf.org] has parted #staff
[01:11:10] -!- rand [rand!~rand@cea-547.64-463-42.nts-online.net] has joined #staff
[01:11:35] -!- rand [rand!~rand@cea-547.64-463-42.nts-online.net] has parted #staff
[01:23:56] -!- TheMightyBuzzard has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
[01:29:41] -!- TheMightyBuzzard [TheMightyBuzzard!bob@Soylent/Staff/Developer/TMB] has joined #staff
[01:29:41] -!- mode/#staff [+v TheMightyBuzzard] by juggler
[04:05:14] -!- audioguy has quit [Ping timeout: 244 seconds]
[07:55:31] -!- audioguy [audioguy!~audioguy@50.45.tow.iyv] has joined #staff
[07:56:26] -!- audioguy has quit [Changing host]
[07:56:26] -!- audioguy [audioguy!~audioguy@Soylent/Staff/Developer/audioguy] has joined #staff
[07:56:26] -!- mode/#staff [+v audioguy] by juggler
[16:58:02] -!- SoyCow6018 [SoyCow6018!~6ab92b70@cx532-490.members.linode.com] has joined #staff
[17:27:21] -!- TheMightyBuzzard has quit [Quit: shall we play a game?]
[17:31:14] -!- SoyCow6018 has quit [Ping timeout: 244 seconds]
[19:26:47] -!- Ethanol-fueled [Ethanol-fueled!~8232c801@130.50.hqs.i] has joined #staff
[19:27:02] -!- Ethanol-fueled [Ethanol-fueled!~8232c801@130.50.hqs.i] has parted #staff
[20:25:21] -!- audioguy has quit [Ping timeout: 244 seconds]
[20:38:52] -!- TheMightyBuzzard [TheMightyBuzzard!bob@Soylent/Staff/Developer/TMB] has joined #staff
[20:38:52] -!- mode/#staff [+v TheMightyBuzzard] by juggler