#staff | Logs for 2014-04-08

« return
[00:01:04] -!- Cyprus has quit [Quit: home]
[00:14:39] -!- pbnjoe [pbnjoe!~pbnjoe@Soylent/Users/313/pbnjoe] has joined #staff
[01:16:56] -!- cosurgi has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[01:16:59] -!- Bytram|away [Bytram|away!~pc@Soylent/Staff/Developer/martyb] has joined #staff
[01:16:59] -!- mode/#staff [+v Bytram|away] by SN
[01:17:37] Bytram|away is now known as Bytram
[01:22:53] -!- pbnjoe has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[03:44:30] Bytram is now known as Bytram|away
[03:49:32] -!- Bytram|away has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[05:20:08] -!- SN has quit [Service unloaded.]
[05:20:08] -!- juggler [juggler!SN@services.] has joined #staff
[05:20:08] -!- mode/#staff [+o juggler] by services.
[06:18:00] -!- mrcoolbp [mrcoolbp!~32b016bc@Soylent/Staff/mrcoolbp] has joined #staff
[06:18:00] -!- mode/#staff [+v mrcoolbp] by juggler
[06:23:02] -!- SirFinku_ [SirFinku_!~textual@l-64-313-06-125.hsd0.wa.comcast.net] has joined #staff
[06:26:20] -!- SirFinkus has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[06:27:18] SirFinku_ is now known as SirFinkus
[06:54:59] SlimShady is now known as Gerbilius
[07:55:50] <NCommander> Man, its quiet in here
[09:03:04] -!- mrcoolbp has quit [Quit: Web client closed]
[11:08:39] -!- Bytram|away [Bytram|away!~pc@Soylent/Staff/Developer/martyb] has joined #staff
[11:08:39] -!- mode/#staff [+v Bytram|away] by juggler
[11:24:17] Bytram|away is now known as Bytram
[12:18:26] -!- Popeidol has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[12:20:34] -!- Popeidol [Popeidol!~matt@24-7-761-249.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #staff
[12:41:04] <Bytram> Hi all!
[12:41:17] <MrBluze> hi :)
[12:41:33] <Bytram> MrBluze: just saw a great comment posted in "#dev" by space_man:
[12:41:35] <Bytram> "SoylentNews is powered by your submissions, so send in your scoop. Only 19 submissions in the queue." Submissions could do with an link to /submit.pl and queue needs a link to /submit.pl?op=list and maybe a random scoop link to some ice cream company :P
[12:41:54] <MrBluze> i saw that too
[12:42:10] <MrBluze> it's not a bad idea at all
[12:44:23] <Bytram> MrBluze: it's a *great* idea! Community FTW!
[12:45:45] -!- prospectacle [prospectacle!~3a6b4410@v98-297-22-82.mit757.act.optusnet.com.au] has joined #staff
[12:45:45] -!- mode/#staff [+v prospectacle] by juggler
[12:47:47] <MrBluze> i agree
[13:44:46] -!- crutchy [crutchy!~crutchy_@724-640-25-593.cust.aussiebb.net] has joined #staff
[13:45:26] <MrBluze> hey crutchy
[13:45:37] <MrBluze> .voice crutchy
[13:45:37] -!- mode/#staff [+v crutchy] by juggler
[13:45:53] <MrBluze> i have to voice u otherwise u cant say anything in here
[13:54:48] -!- mode/#staff [-v crutchy] by juggler
[13:58:13] -!- prospectacle has quit [Quit: Web client closed]
[14:03:28] Bytram is now known as Bytram|away
[14:07:38] -!- Bytram|away has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[15:25:02] -!- crutchy has quit [Quit: Ex-Chat]
[15:38:06] -!- crutchy [crutchy!~crutchy_@724-640-25-593.cust.aussiebb.net] has joined #staff
[15:47:53] -!- mattie_p [mattie_p!~Matt@Soylent/Staff/Editor/mattiep] has joined #staff
[15:47:53] -!- mode/#staff [+v mattie_p] by juggler
[15:53:32] -!- janrinok [janrinok!~janrinok@Soylent/Staff/Editor/janrinok] has joined #staff
[15:53:32] -!- mode/#staff [+v janrinok] by juggler
[15:53:54] -!- mrcoolbp [mrcoolbp!~mrcoolbp@Soylent/Staff/mrcoolbp] has joined #staff
[15:53:54] -!- mode/#staff [+v mrcoolbp] by juggler
[15:59:28] <mrcoolbp> MrBluze: I'm alive
[15:59:44] <mrcoolbp> audioguy: ^^
[16:10:25] -!- Cyprus [Cyprus!~Cyprus@localhost] has joined #staff
[16:23:43] <mrcoolbp> BRB
[17:08:42] janrinok is now known as janrinok|afk
[18:07:42] <mrcoolbp> .op
[18:07:42] -!- mode/#staff [+o mrcoolbp] by juggler
[18:08:05] -!- xlefay [xlefay!~xlefay@Soylent/Staff/Sysop/xlefay] has joined #staff
[18:08:13] -!- mode/#staff [+v xlefay] by juggler
[18:13:05] Cyprus is now known as Cyprus|afk
[18:15:16] -!- Loggie_ [Loggie_!sylnt@Soylent/Bot/Bender] has joined #staff
[18:15:16] -!- Loggie_ [Loggie_!sylnt@Soylent/Bot/Bender] has joined #staff
[18:16:30] -!- Loggie has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
[18:58:43] Cyprus|afk is now known as Cyprus
[19:28:07] janrinok|afk is now known as janrinok
[19:28:30] <xlefay> janrinok !!
[19:28:36] <xlefay> How are ya ? :)
[19:29:54] <janrinok> xlefay: good xlefay , and how are you?
[19:30:26] <xlefay> I'm ok :)
[19:31:00] <janrinok> you sound a bit tired?
[19:31:58] <xlefay> I am :<
[19:32:18] <janrinok> is that because of the work load here or elsewhere?
[19:32:51] <xlefay> mostly my workload; got a whole lot of shit to do and so little time to do it
[19:33:20] <janrinok> anything I can do to help?
[19:33:32] <mrcoolbp> xlefay: Let me know if there's anything I can do as well
[19:33:49] <xlefay> I need to get in touch with my teams and start organizing stuff a bit
[19:34:00] <xlefay> sysops has scheduled a meeting for today, waiting for audioguy & paulej72 to confirm their presence
[19:34:13] <xlefay> Thanks guys, I appreciate it, I'll let you know if there's something :)
[19:34:17] <janrinok> not much I can do there....
[19:34:49] <janrinok> don't hesitate - just shout out. We're all in this together.
[19:35:08] <xlefay> After doing some sysops stuff (like finally finishing the icinga docs) I'll be writing IRC guidelines and all, I'd love for anyone to check the docs I'll be writing
[19:35:18] <xlefay> My formal English isn't that awesome in general
[19:35:19] <mrcoolbp> xlefay: you are temporarily banned from Community Support if you like = )
[19:35:48] <janrinok> I'll read your docs - let me know which ones and when.
[19:35:48] <mrcoolbp> xlefay the proofreading/editing has myself and janrinok written all over it
[19:36:08] <xlefay> ha, that reminds me, did you manage to get everything consolidated under the e-mail alias I made for you? (the social services that is)
[19:36:19] <xlefay> mrcoolbp, janrinok, awesome I appreciate it ;)
[19:36:36] <mrcoolbp> xlefay: hrm no...
[19:37:01] <xlefay> you changed the pinterest though right?
[19:37:19] * xlefay notes he didn't received any more annoying e-mails about it anymore
[19:37:24] <mrcoolbp> I believe so
[19:37:35] <xlefay> Thanks ;)
[19:37:39] * mrcoolbp staggers at his inbox
[19:37:45] <xlefay> NCommander, did you send those cards to mattie btw?
[19:38:19] <NCommander> xlefay, not yet. I still have to write them out. They'll be in outgoing mail by end of day
[19:38:23] * NCommander has been dealing w/ some RL issues
[19:38:56] <janrinok> NCommander: hi, I won't ask how you are - you're obviously busy!
[19:38:57] <xlefay> NCommander, awesome about the cards, thank you. And I'm sorry to hear about RL issues.
[19:39:00] <NCommander> xlefay, so ... I've been thinking about the pgsql stuff
[19:39:08] <NCommander> xlefay, I think we need to do this sooner rather than later
[19:39:27] <NCommander> xlefay, I think the easiest solution is just to port the schema over 1:1, then fix the SQL so it works like it does with MySQL
[19:39:45] <xlefay> NCommander, agreed and later on, we can write the views, etc.. least that'd give us some breathing room
[19:39:49] <NCommander> xlefay, we then can implement proceedures and views via a massive refactor. Once thats done, we can modify the schema to be ELESSBRAINDEAD
[19:40:19] <xlefay> "massive" is the right word yeah, that'd be the right approach
[19:40:31] <NCommander> xlefay, I think in the short term we should work on keeping the site fully mysql/pgsql compatible; with a mechanism to migrate mysql->pgsql data on the fly, and abuse it to hell on dev
[19:40:45] <xlefay> I'm happy our CSS is finally *less* braindead although, I'm not quite happy about SC's built in CSS shit
[19:40:46] <NCommander> Once we flip production, we can depreicated and remove the mysql support
[19:40:52] <NCommander> xlefay, SC?
[19:40:55] <xlefay> Slashcode
[19:41:01] <xlefay> Yes, that seems like the best plan
[19:41:02] <NCommander> xlefay, well, we can fix it now
[19:41:13] <xlefay> I mean, SC's CSS processor shit
[19:41:28] <NCommander> xlefay, I'm honestly boggled by it myself
[19:41:31] <xlefay> [% variables %] and crap
[19:41:42] <NCommander> xlefay, they went through a LOT of crap to make theme inhertiance possible
[19:41:52] <xlefay> theme inheritance is awesome
[19:41:53] <NCommander> And rearchitecture a ton of code to make that possible
[19:42:04] <NCommander> xlefay, we can do multilayer, though at the moment that requires a bit of hardcoding
[19:42:22] <NCommander> (i.e., soylentnews can inhertiant from chillax which inhertiants from default)
[19:42:47] <xlefay> NCommander, yeah, that's a default inheritance scheme for themes and such
[19:43:23] <NCommander> xlefay, I'm used to most PHP theming, which is EBRAINDEAD
[19:43:25] <xlefay> Where are the rawcss stuff again?
[19:43:46] <xlefay> Ugh, PHP's is a templating language and yet it sucks like hell
[19:44:00] <xlefay> whenever I have to theme shit and using PHP to code a website, Twig or Volt is what I use ;)
[19:44:02] <xlefay> <3 Twig
[19:44:33] <xlefay> body { background: #e5e5e5 url("[% constants.imagedir %]/bg2.gif") repeat-x; } # I'm talking about shit like that
[19:44:41] * NCommander is actually fairly fond on template toolkit
[19:44:52] <NCommander> xlefay, I actually don't mind that as much
[19:45:08] <xlefay> I don't believe Slash should be the one to compile the CSS files, there are far better solutions out there
[19:46:25] <xlefay> Take a look at: http://lesscss.org (there's also http://sass-lang.com ); essentially, what they do; is they give you a boatload more capabilities than pure CSS and fairly sure they even strive past Slash's CSS stuff
[19:46:44] <xlefay> Now what I love about lesscss is the mixins, it *saves* _SO_ much time
[19:47:01] * xlefay notes this is especially true when you're talking about vendor specifics
[19:48:02] <xlefay> http://lesscss.org for instance, say, in 10 years, we look back at this code and we don't need vendor specifics anymore, we can just edit it all in one place, instead of sed'ing our way and possibly breaking shit along the way
[19:48:04] <xlefay> Thoughts?
[19:49:38] <mrcoolbp> there's a story in the queue regarding SQL injection
[19:51:32] <janrinok> mrcoolbp: I've only just given it the second look too! How's that for topical...
[19:51:43] <mrcoolbp> = )
[19:52:29] <xlefay> NCommander, just check those links a bit and I'd love to hear your view on using something like that to generate the CSS. My thought is, if we were to switch to something like that, we can have themes in their own repo and a good thing is, most webdesigners will know either scss or lesscss, effectively lowering the risk of CSS breakage overall too
[19:53:20] <NCommander> xlefay, themes in their own repo are kinda fugly with slash
[19:53:26] <xlefay> Of course, my thought would be to have a assets.soylentnews.org vhost, that would serve stylesheets, js, images, etc
[19:53:31] <NCommander> xlefay, theorically, everything is in theme/* but this isn't true in practice
[19:53:53] <xlefay> hmm.. that sucks
[19:54:00] <NCommander> I am really hestiant on adding another system
[19:54:07] <NCommander> Template::Toolkit is pretty standard if unpopular
[19:54:31] <NCommander> IANA web designer, so I'm willing to concede this point, but I'm not sure we willg et much in terms of value
[19:54:36] <xlefay> I get that, but long term thinking would it not be more useful then using slash's facilities?
[19:54:48] <xlefay> NCommander, there's a shitload of value there :P
[19:55:27] <xlefay> spreading stuff over multiple less files, etc.. and compiling it all in one. Take for example the bootstrap project, it uses less exclusively to keep their CSS organized
[19:56:12] <xlefay> and I do believe our project size warrants the organization of CSS, it'd make it standardized, cleaner & simpler with *less* effort :)
[19:56:14] <NCommander> xlefay, perhaps ...
[19:56:28] <NCommander> xlefay, we can add it as a new TLD which writes out the css files
[19:56:32] <NCommander> (we don't have to use the raw)
[19:56:59] <xlefay> Looking at the rawcss, the only benefit we have is, the constants?
[19:58:07] * xlefay notes I'm particularly fond of: http://lesscss.org
[19:59:24] <xlefay> themes/css/comments/{nested,flat,others}.css etc I think it would be a bless to have CSS files relevant to what they're for. I'm not pushing this though, just trying to discuss the benefits & downsides of either approaches
[20:01:28] <xlefay> e.g. you need to edit the sidemenu? You know where to find everything that's related to it in sidemenu.css; you need to edit the nested comment css? Well you know where that is too! It keeps things inconvenient and less breakable, like regular css does, especially if people add shit all over the place
[20:05:55] <xlefay> NCommander, it's just something I think worthwhile to consider, give it some thought if you will ;)
[20:06:12] <NCommander> xlefay, I'll take a patch :-)
[20:06:52] <xlefay> I wouldn't mind refactoring everything to be lesscss able, probably make the CSS a whole lot more sensible in the process too ;)
[20:14:36] * xlefay clones..
[20:24:55] <mrcoolbp> NCommander: is 4 days enough time to "collect domain submissions?"
[20:37:48] <NCommander> mrcoolbp, I think so
[20:44:10] MrBluze is now known as MrBluze|afk
[21:20:29] mrcoolbp is now known as mrcoolbp|afk
[21:23:08] <xlefay> NCommander, I've got the basics done ;-)
[21:23:54] <xlefay> even saved a few bytes generating one combined file ;-)
[21:24:33] <xlefay> & still keep compatibility with slaw's [% constant... %] ;]
[21:39:42] <NCommander> xlefay, give me a branch and I shall PULL
[21:39:47] * NCommander is going to clean out a ton of dead code today
[21:42:32] <xlefay> It's not quite ready, but you can take a little preview of hot it goes:
[21:42:36] <xlefay> https://github.com
[21:42:37] <xlefay> how*
[21:43:44] <xlefay> I generated only one file at this point but I'm guessing slash wants it all in seperate files (which is fine by me)
[21:44:48] -!- janrinok has quit [Quit: leaving]
[21:45:48] <xlefay> So it saves about 4 or 6 kb, to me that's nothing but I've noticed there are some hardcore byte nazis around here :P
[21:47:25] <xlefay> So, essentially, the plan is to have, admin.cssraw, base.css, comments.css, handheld.css, print.css, etc.
[21:48:32] <xlefay> but using shared functions (mixins) and such wherever possible, so the less files will have a nice organization and then you just compile it down to braindead CSS for slash to parse and voila, "better" css!
[21:50:18] <xlefay> NCommander, I'm surprised you can't have different colorschemes for themes
[21:50:39] <xlefay> least.. I didn't see that anywhere in my very quick search
[21:53:41] <NCommander> xlefay, there's fields in the database for it
[21:53:49] <NCommander> xlefay, my guess is we're just not exposing them anywhere in the skin
[21:54:40] <xlefay> ah I see
[21:58:20] <xlefay> ugh
[21:58:26] * xlefay sets his server to seed the torrent too
[21:58:43] <xlefay> 4,00 mb/s and fluxtuation like hell
[21:58:46] <xlefay> That's carbon... *sighs*
[22:07:19] <xlefay> Downloading from 2 of 2 peers...
[22:08:14] <xlefay> aah, highest speed now: 10 MB/s ;]
[22:12:20] <NCommander> xlefay, WTF are you torrenting?
[22:12:44] <xlefay> the dev vm
[22:12:56] <xlefay> but carbon's network is _slow_ as hell
[22:14:04] <xlefay> carbon got me 4 .. add my server and you get to > 10
[22:14:17] <xlefay> Did I mention, I like speed? :)
[22:15:00] * xlefay opens the devvm page and goes to try to deploy his css files ..
[22:15:25] <NCommander> xlefay, er, the dev VM is getting pretty dated
[22:15:37] <NCommander> xlefay, I recommend you pull master, then re-run install-slashcode
[22:15:38] <NCommander> !todo
[22:15:38] <Gerbilius> todo for ncommander: 1) write up YAFAP for nethack 2) clean production database of unused vars/tables from Tags/FIrehose/Achievements 3) email to FSF/SPI w/ mattie_p input 4) upstart job for apache 5) package nagios check_by_kssh
[22:15:45] * NCommander wines
[22:15:54] <NCommander> !todo-done 5
[22:15:54] <Gerbilius> 1 item deleted
[22:16:06] <xlefay> ok, will do
[22:17:20] <xlefay> ugh you know.. I don't even think the devvm will work
[22:17:40] <xlefay> last I tried my laptop didn't want to virtualize 64 bit and no shit in my bios :<
[22:17:50] * xlefay wonders sometimes why he put his desktop downstairs..
[22:19:07] * xlefay wonders if he could just install LXC and run it in a container...
[22:19:21] <xlefay> NCommander, any thoughts before I consider trying it?
[22:22:56] <xlefay> Oh my
[22:22:58] <xlefay> it worked :o
[22:23:07] <NCommander> xlefay, what did?
[22:23:25] <xlefay> the vm.. I could've sworn last I tried running a 64bit VM on my laptop it was yammering
[22:23:40] <xlefay> that's why I made the LXC vm in 32bit instead of a 64bit.. weird world
[22:23:52] <NCommander> xlefay, odds are it was something misconfigured on your old distro
[22:23:56] <NCommander> Welcome to Ubuntu :-)
[22:24:23] <xlefay> That may be a possibility.. I do expect when I install virtualbox that it'll just work.. we're not living in the middle ages anymore
[22:25:31] <xlefay> I still like the idea of a container or maybe just a charm ;]
[22:25:57] <NCommander> xlefay, huh, pipedot redesigned http://pipedot.org
[22:26:08] <xlefay> I saw it yesterday or so, it looks really need
[22:26:09] <xlefay> neat*
[22:26:35] <xlefay> just take a look at their css :)
[22:27:16] <NCommander> xlefay, shiny
[22:27:24] <NCommander> xlefay, that beside said, pipedot remains horribly incomplete
[22:27:26] <xlefay> although they're cheating..
[22:27:52] <xlefay> yeah that's true
[22:28:04] <NCommander> cheating?
[22:28:09] <xlefay> inline css
[22:28:11] * NCommander is curious what pipedot's hit count looks like
[22:28:24] <xlefay> I thought their css file looked rather small.. but then I noticed some inline styles
[22:28:37] <xlefay> Web Server
[22:28:37] <xlefay> FIXME: Go on about how great Nginx is.
[22:28:38] <xlefay> rofl
[22:29:24] <xlefay> you know, NCommander, that style looks to be a bit of slashcode & launchpad
[22:29:29] <xlefay> the launchpad stuff because of the icons
[22:29:39] <NCommander> I still feel like pipedot is one cease and desist away
[22:29:49] <xlefay> unfortunately I agree :<
[22:29:58] * NCommander notes once we rename slashcode, I'm going to be much happier with our legal immunities
[22:30:06] <NCommander> I'm actually mulling calling it "clarity"
[22:30:12] <xlefay> LOL
[22:30:32] <NCommander> Well, I actually plan to monotize our branch of slashcode
[22:30:43] <xlefay> monotize?
[22:30:52] <NCommander> Er, make money
[22:30:57] <xlefay> How so?
[22:31:11] <xlefay> NCommander, yeah that's monetize, I was wondering if it were a typo or another concept all together
[22:31:12] <NCommander> If (and this is a big if) we can really get our S/N ratio to stay high with a large community, I think we could probably do well by sell support and customization services
[22:31:39] <xlefay> ah I see, that's not a bad idea
[22:32:01] <xlefay> You can also sell support service for setting up servers and such
[22:32:05] <NCommander> Bingo
[22:32:13] <xlefay> e.g. our infra will make a few sysopses go "WTFF"
[22:32:39] <xlefay> you want to make SN like StackExchange but then for news right?
[22:33:22] <NCommander> I think so
[22:33:28] * xlefay really does think those icons @ pipedot are sexy
[22:33:35] <xlefay> They're spot on
[22:33:39] <NCommander> I still think our primary reveune will be donations, but even then, we'll be hardpress for one FTE
[22:33:48] <xlefay> FTE?
[22:33:53] <NCommander> full time equivelent
[22:33:56] <xlefay> ah yes
[22:34:17] <xlefay> I was also thinking of alternative services for people
[22:34:27] <NCommander> xlefay, well, I want to implement subslashs
[22:34:36] <NCommander> (aka, subreddits, but slash instead)
[22:35:06] <xlefay> e.g. bnc accounts for $1 a month, people wouldn't be buying/renting/whatever them because they can't set up a bnc themselves but more in order to support SN; say, 100 users = $100 still a nice addition
[22:35:16] <xlefay> ideas like those are floating around my head at times ;)
[22:35:25] <xlefay> Yeah, I compare it to stackexchange a bit:P
[22:35:26] <NCommander> BNC?
[22:35:31] * NCommander notes he's #2 on IdleRPG
[22:35:35] <NCommander> How the fuck did THAt happen
[22:35:39] <xlefay> You have an IRC proxy which is actually a BNC
[22:35:52] <xlefay> "[11:04:29] Dennis Ritchie thinks that NCommander is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success, so pushed them 3 days, 03:01:04 toward level 49."
[22:35:55] <xlefay> probably that
[22:36:16] * NCommander notes he has two legendary items
[22:36:37] <xlefay> I still wonder what makes your BNC go crazy sometimes
[22:36:55] <xlefay> which items?:P
[22:37:24] <NCommander> xlefay, a monitor and something else. I rather not type status because then I'll get penalized
[22:37:58] <xlefay> /msg nerdrpg inventory
[22:38:06] <xlefay> no penalty for that
[22:38:30] <xlefay> <NerdRPG> You are carrying the level 61 psychic graphics card which predicts what you want to see next, a 15GB hard disk, a 128 kpbs ADSL modem, a level 32 wireless card, a 21.0" TFT monitor, a level 44 USB key, a 300 MHz processor, 12 MiB RAM, the level 90 Linus's final bug-free Ready for the Desktop version of Linux, and a level 44 coffee machine.
[22:38:41] * xlefay notes he cheats on #irpg for /msg *status detach
[22:38:48] <NCommander> xlefay,
[22:38:49] <NCommander> <NerdRPG> You are carrying a level 57 graphics card, a 600GB hard disk, a 1280 kbps ADSL modem, a level 47 wireless card, the level 104 Ray Kurzweil's direct retinal holoprojection unit, a level 46 USB key, the level 167 world's first actual quantum processor, 3 GiB RAM, the level 92 Linus's final bug-free Ready for the Desktop version of Linux, and a level 44 coffee machine.
[22:39:08] <xlefay> HOLY SHIT
[22:39:13] <xlefay> you've got a holoprojection unit?!
[22:39:23] <NCommander> and a quantum processor
[22:39:35] <xlefay> goddamn how about we switch logins? :)
[22:39:45] <NCommander> nah
[22:39:51] <xlefay> ha:p
[22:39:59] <NCommander> I started a few weeks late to the idlerpg game
[22:40:09] <xlefay> I started the first minute it was up ;)
[22:40:15] <NCommander> so why am I beating you
[22:40:18] <xlefay> We do make a distinction though, it's not really idlerpg now
[22:40:22] <xlefay> because my inventory sucks
[22:40:36] <NCommander> Yeah, your computer is so 1995
[22:40:39] <xlefay> (our idlerpg is nothing like the original anymore, fatphil replaced a lot of code)
[22:40:46] <xlefay> haha it is x'D
[22:40:54] <xlefay> 12 MiB of ram!
[22:41:02] <NCommander> Mine needs an upgrade
[22:41:06] <xlefay> not to mention a 15GB hdd!
[22:41:16] <xlefay> like actual computer or nerdrpg one?
[22:41:20] <NCommander> You know, I don't HAVE a harddrive
[22:41:29] <xlefay> Ah you netbooter!
[22:41:37] <NCommander> I boot from USENET :-)
[22:41:43] <NCommander> alt.binaries.post
[22:41:43] <xlefay> Oh, I bet you use Microsoft Terminal Services ;)
[22:41:54] <NCommander> .... that would be an *epic* april fools joke
[22:41:57] <NCommander> Fuck, I could even code it
[22:42:05] <xlefay> haha x'D
[22:42:10] <NCommander> You could do it in UEFI with boottime services easily
[22:42:24] <xlefay> oh god, are you actually considering this? :P
[22:42:47] <xlefay> cause it would be totally awesome ;D
[22:43:07] <NCommander> I'm picturing how it would work
[22:43:20] <NCommander> POrting a NNTP library to UEFI would be relatively easy
[22:43:39] <NCommander> We can set DHCP option feeds to select a newserver
[22:43:42] <xlefay> I like my desktop's uefi; it's so much nicer than a dang bios
[22:43:48] <xlefay> rofl
[22:43:52] <NCommander> Then reassemble grub from uuencoded message
[22:44:10] <xlefay> grub-nntp # rofl
[22:44:12] <NCommander> Bonus points
[22:44:16] <NCommander> Do it on Itanium :-)
[22:44:21] * NCommander actually has the hardware
[22:44:26] MrBluze|afk is now known as MrBluze
[22:45:15] <xlefay> ha :P
[22:45:17] <xlefay> MrBluze, wb
[22:45:39] * xlefay notes MrBluze will probably be pleased to see lesscss
[22:45:53] <xlefay> NCommander, that's cool tho ;D
[22:46:08] * NCommander would love the idea of being able to install from newsgroups
[22:46:11] <NCommander> Just need apt-nntp
[22:46:42] <xlefay> it's not a far fetched idea either
[22:46:55] <MrBluze> oh good
[22:47:01] <MrBluze> hi xlefay
[22:47:02] <MrBluze> hi NCommander
[22:47:03] <xlefay> I suppose, it would be pretty cool; real question is, what are the applications for such a boot system? :)
[22:47:08] <NCommander> xlefay, we could also get the BitTorrent Boot Protocol
[22:47:09] <NCommander> BTBP
[22:47:16] <xlefay> MrBluze, https://github.com ;)
[22:47:17] <xlefay> LOL
[22:47:31] <NCommander> That one would actually be semi-practical
[22:47:39] <xlefay> That's the fun part, it is
[22:47:41] <NCommander> And UEFI supports IPv6
[22:47:43] <NCommander> >:-)
[22:47:54] <xlefay> and in the image, just include the same image file and auto seed it
[22:47:59] <xlefay> now that, would be absolutely awesome
[22:48:00] <MrBluze> very nice xlefay
[22:48:06] <mrcoolbp|afk> MrBluze, audioguy, I'm back
[22:48:19] <xlefay> MrBluze, it's a start, just wait till I add mixins and such :p
[22:48:36] <MrBluze> its great
[22:48:41] <MrBluze> i cant stay i gtg to work
[22:48:47] <NCommander> MrBluze, I love the Non-profit!
[22:48:54] <MrBluze> no prob :)
[22:49:00] <NCommander> xlefay, I'd port slash to UEFI, but a coworker would kill me if we have ROM perl
[22:49:11] <MrBluze> btw the voting post is in the editors box awaiting your approval NCommander
[22:49:25] <MrBluze> once u are happy with it / timing etc, post it on SN
[22:49:28] <NCommander> MrBluze, I'm going to go smoke, I'll ack it
[22:49:33] <MrBluze> no prob
[22:49:34] <mrcoolbp|afk> MrBluze did you talk to audioguy first?
[22:49:38] <MrBluze> enjoy it like it was the last one
[22:49:44] <MrBluze> nah havent caught audioguy
[22:49:47] <MrBluze> thing is it doesnt depend on him
[22:49:52] <MrBluze> the vote itself can be any time later
[22:49:59] <xlefay> NCommander, eufi is just a replacement for the bios right? I can see the possibility of bittorrent & (altough for sillyness) nntp; but how about slash?
[22:50:05] <mrcoolbp|afk> MrBluze I told to wait
[22:50:11] <NCommander> xlefay, lack of fork() makes it tricky
[22:50:17] <mrcoolbp|afk> MrBluze we need to change some things in there
[22:50:20] <NCommander> MrBluze, I'm going to copyedit this a bit
[22:50:21] <xlefay> or am I missing a fundamental ability of eufi?
[22:50:27] <NCommander> MrBluze, I don't want to bind the NFP name to the site
[22:50:40] <MrBluze> the nfp name can be anything, exactly
[22:50:53] <MrBluze> got it .. rename to "this website is currently named"
[22:50:55] <MrBluze> or whatever
[22:51:02] <xlefay> NewsExchange? :)
[22:51:10] <MrBluze> mrcoolbp|afk: i am waiting
[22:51:18] mrcoolbp|afk is now known as mrcoolbp
[22:51:20] <MrBluze> i didnt post it .. remove it if u want to wait
[22:51:23] <NCommander> MrBluze, we need to check trademark databases for various names
[22:51:29] <MrBluze> we do
[22:51:41] <MrBluze> this current post is for suggestions only
[22:51:44] <NCommander> MrBluze, at least US, CAN, EU, AUS, NZ
[22:51:52] <MrBluze> _suggestions_ which is just passing the hat around for names
[22:51:53] <xlefay> I'm actually suggesting NewsExchange, I like it
[22:51:57] <mrcoolbp> MrBluze we are going to use the voting system to collect the names
[22:52:00] <xlefay> but I think Stack might have an issue with it
[22:52:02] <NCommander> xlefay, send it to the suggestion bin :-)
[22:52:06] <MrBluze> to collect the names?
[22:52:08] <xlefay> Which is where? :)
[22:52:10] <NCommander> MrBluze, copy edit it, and schedule it to go out in an hour and a half
[22:52:14] <NCommander> MrBluze, I'll ack it when I return
[22:52:35] <MrBluze> uhh.. mrcoolbp if that is true, better rework the post
[22:52:45] <mrcoolbp> MrBluze: I have been reworking it
[22:52:50] * NCommander goes to smoke
[22:52:54] <MrBluze> isnt it simpler just to have people send us names in an email, ordinary like?
[22:52:55] <mrcoolbp> check: https://chillax.soylentnews.org
[22:52:56] <NCommander> BTW, we need a featured story thing
[22:52:56] <MrBluze> why make that hard?
[22:52:57] <NCommander> desperately
[22:53:07] <mrcoolbp> ^^^
[22:53:28] <xlefay> mrcoolbp, not to bug you; but have you had time for the star trek emails?
[22:53:29] <MrBluze> ok
[22:53:35] <MrBluze> i have to get ready for work
[22:53:40] <mrcoolbp> MrBluze: what would be hard is collecting hundreds of name submissions by hand
[22:53:43] <mrcoolbp> okay go to work
[22:53:45] <xlefay> it can wait for a bit though so no sweat, just making sure you haven't forgotten it :P
[22:53:45] <MrBluze> u do it how u want :)
[22:53:47] <mrcoolbp> we'll see you soon
[22:53:52] <xlefay> MrBluze, take care buddy ;)
[22:53:55] <MrBluze> cheers
[22:54:07] <MrBluze> yep ill be back no prob
[22:54:08] <MrBluze> cheers
[22:54:26] <mrcoolbp> xlefay: no thanks for the reminder, I was going to do it this morning but I've gotten sidetracked by the NameVote thing
[22:54:41] <mrcoolbp> cheers MrBluze, have a good day
[22:55:03] <xlefay> no worries, like I said it can wait a bit
[22:55:14] <xlefay> how about we make that letter and templatize it?
[22:55:37] <mrcoolbp> xlefay: good idea
[22:55:58] <xlefay> how about, I also make a press mailbox?
[22:56:08] <xlefay> press@soylentnews.org
[22:56:15] <mrcoolbp> I'm going to need a bigger team soon...
[22:56:58] <mrcoolbp> NCommander, I'll copywrite the post, I need to change a bunch of things, draft is here: https://chillax.soylentnews.org
[22:57:28] <mrcoolbp> !todo contact Star Trek Reboot organizations
[22:57:28] <Gerbilius> todo item 2 added
[22:58:00] <mrcoolbp> !todo copywrite namevote post
[22:58:00] <Gerbilius> todo item 3 added
[22:58:01] <mrcoolbp> !todo get review on name vote post
[22:58:04] <Gerbilius> todo item 4 added
[22:58:17] <mrcoolbp> !todo revisit staff meetings
[22:58:17] <Gerbilius> todo item 5 added
[22:58:28] <mrcoolbp> !todo
[22:58:28] <Gerbilius> todo for mrcoolbp: 1) get jowl bacon 2) contact Star Trek Reboot organizations 3) copywrite namevote post 4) get review on name vote post 5) revisit staff meetings
[23:02:48] <mrcoolbp> !todo clear out inbox
[23:02:48] <Gerbilius> todo item 6 added
[23:03:00] <mrcoolbp> !todo setup T-bird for email
[23:03:00] <Gerbilius> todo item 7 added
[23:11:21] <mrcoolbp> crap I'm already getting suggestions via email
[23:11:22] <xlefay> Is it bad that I want to plug Sublight into alicebot?
[23:11:38] <mrcoolbp> xlefay: what is the social email alias again?
[23:11:52] <mrcoolbp> xlefay: no idea about that last questions
[23:12:02] <xlefay> social-media@soylentnews.org
[23:12:24] <xlefay> Sublight will be my own IRC bot, that /isn't/ braindead ;)
[23:13:15] MrBluze is now known as MrBluze|afk
[23:14:39] <xlefay> heh. mrcoolbp I'm talking to the "most popular" bot they have:
[23:14:40] <xlefay> Human: You're a dot?
[23:14:40] <xlefay> Adrienne: Thanks and you are a delightful person too. Am I a dot? Yes.
[23:15:03] <mrcoolbp> er uh...
[23:15:04] <mrcoolbp> okay
[23:15:08] <xlefay> http://pandorabots.com
[23:15:16] <mrcoolbp> ah
[23:15:37] <mrcoolbp> !todo setup social-media alias on all sites
[23:15:37] <Gerbilius> todo item 8 added
[23:15:57] <mrcoolbp> xlefay got two seconds to help me setup Thunderbird?
[23:16:01] <xlefay> The idea is, if I plug Sublight into one of those bots, it can reply to things when you prefix a message with the bot, e.g.
[23:16:05] <xlefay> Sublight: How are you today?
[23:16:18] <xlefay> Sublight will then respond by using what the "alicebot" says
[23:16:22] <mrcoolbp> Sublight: I love you.
[23:16:25] <xlefay> mrcoolbp, sure thing
[23:16:34] <xlefay> Human: I love you.
[23:16:34] <xlefay> Adrienne: Thanks I like you a lot too .
[23:16:35] <xlefay> rofl
[23:16:46] <xlefay> oh we're going PM, kinky
[23:19:05] <NCommander> damn it all to hell
[23:19:41] <xlefay> ?
[23:20:14] * xlefay is somewhat amused looking at the most popular bots list.. guess what?
[23:20:20] <xlefay> Most of them have female names.
[23:20:41] <NCommander> One of the chains on the grandfather clock I own slipped
[23:20:45] <NCommander> I can't get it back in
[23:20:53] <xlefay> oh :S
[23:25:56] <paulej72> xlefay: took a look at your css updates. While I think we may go to using lesscss in the future, I really want to clean up the css before we do that. there is a buch of unused junk there that needs to be deleted first. Also I plan on having base.css, comments.css, admin.css and print,css the same on all themes. only the actual theme.css would change for each theme.
[23:27:01] <xlefay> paulej72, I agree, it has to be cleaned up; and the same base, comments, admin & print is a good idea; but we'll still leave flexibility for entirely different themes, right?
[23:28:02] <paulej72> xlefay: yes, but I would like to be able to do simple color changes based on changing a few items in the them.css
[23:28:14] <xlefay> paulej72, I aree, that would be preferable
[23:28:43] <paulej72> Also handheld seemed not to make it into NCommander’s new version. Oh how we miss thee.
[23:29:59] <NCommander> paulej72, we do?
[23:30:06] <NCommander> MrBluze|afk, mrcoolbp http://soylentnews.org
[23:31:04] <mrcoolbp> NCommander: I need to change that somewhat heavily
[23:31:51] <mrcoolbp> NCommander: Please don't post
[23:32:33] <paulej72> I looked at doing purple #939 and green #393. They both were not bad, but grenn is too close to /. I did try #993 and while a strange color it was not too bad. #399 was another green/teal that was too close to /.
[23:33:17] <paulej72> NCommander: no being sarcstic for got my ;)
[23:33:47] <NCommander> mrcoolbp, display is checked off
[23:33:49] <paulej72> NCommander: I am fine with no handheld css. not needed for any modern browser
[23:34:13] <mrcoolbp> NCommander: gimme 10 minutes, I'll have it reworked
[23:34:29] <NCommander> paulej72, was it ever used at all?
[23:34:56] <paulej72> back when blackberries were all the rage.
[23:37:34] <NCommander> I had a blackberry once
[23:37:39] <NCommander> please don't judge me
[23:37:44] <paulej72> NCommander: do we have a read only connection to the production database for audioguy to use for voting?
[23:38:00] <NCommander> paulej72, no, but we could magic one up
[23:38:13] <paulej72> NCommander: I had a bb too, but it was shitty trying to do web sites
[23:38:37] * NCommander goes to smoke
[23:38:38] <NCommander> *sigh*
[23:38:43] <NCommander> I'm really pissed about this clock
[23:38:47] <paulej72> NCommander: I think that would be best, then we would not have to worry about any issues from the vote system
[23:39:22] <NCommander> audioguy, you need to pull in the karma table as well
[23:39:30] * NCommander notes he really should have put willing to vote on the karma table
[23:39:36] <NCommander> Unless we want it an absolute free for all
[23:39:46] <NCommander> (I guess if the staff are picking the final name, that's alright)
[23:39:52] MrBluze|afk is now known as MrBluze
[23:39:56] <paulej72> OK I am off to get food and go home before the sysop meeting. bbiab
[23:40:07] <mrcoolbp> xlefay++
[23:40:07] <Gerbilius> karma - xlefay: 35
[23:40:24] <paulej72> mrcoolbp: what was that for?
[23:40:39] <mrcoolbp> he got my setup with my email program despite some issues
[23:40:50] <mrcoolbp> now I can really get to work
[23:40:56] <paulej72> xlefay++ then
[23:40:56] <Gerbilius> karma - xlefay: 36
[23:41:07] <xlefay> I opened up the submissions port.. we had that on the roadmap for a while but no-one ever got to it
[23:41:34] <paulej72> ok bbiab
[23:42:17] <xlefay> e.g. mrcoolbp port 25 is for mailserver to mailserver wheras 587 (submission) is actually intended for mail server to client
[23:42:19] <xlefay> ciao paulej72
[23:42:27] <audioguy> NCommander: The database pul is pretty much a one time thing, per vote. I was not planning on doing a direct interface from the voting code to the database for that reason, there is no real need.
[23:42:37] <xlefay> So people like me.. that use 25 directly, are just abusing it :P
[23:43:48] <audioguy> Al I actually need is a database dump of that one table to tabbed text (slection on the checkmark optional, as that is easily done)
[23:44:06] <audioguy> At the appropriate time.
[23:44:30] <audioguy> I can do that with a single read only mysql table dump command
[23:46:24] <audioguy> I have done that sort of thing already on slashcott
[23:46:31] <audioguy> Or someone else can dot it.
[23:46:36] <audioguy> do
[23:49:57] <NCommander> audioguy, oh, thats easy then
[23:50:05] <NCommander> audioguy, we'll just do the select on an as needed basis
[23:51:27] <audioguy> What I need soon is such a dump that has enough of staff in it that I can use it for some tests. It needs to be in the same format, so I casn write what is needed to prse it, etc.
[23:52:01] <audioguy> After that, just one dump at the end of the 'registration period' for the community.
[23:52:05] <NCommander> audioguy, we can limit the export to staff only (seclevel >= 100)
[23:52:53] <audioguy> yes. I aksed peopke to set that check, not sure how many have done so. Once I have even 4 or 5 I can use it for testing.
[23:54:02] <audioguy> Understand I have a very short period of time to make and test the changes needed. :-)
[23:55:25] <mrcoolbp> audioguy there should already be 4 or 5 people with it checked
[23:55:53] <audioguy> Should != Is always :-)
[23:56:01] <NCommander> Holy crap
[23:56:08] <NCommander> The subscription module is .... speak
[23:56:10] <NCommander> *special
[23:56:14] * NCommander just looked at the code
[23:56:33] <NCommander> It depends on the payment processor to hit a URL with &secword=word
[23:56:51] <NCommander> And if thats true, boom, grants a subscription O_O;
[23:57:37] <audioguy> They have a lot of 'special cases' in there, as I recall
[23:58:33] <NCommander> audioguy, wow. This is a burn and rebuild if I ever saw it
[23:58:51] * NCommander was looking at enabling the subscription module so staff can get * and +1 karma post
[23:59:24] <xlefay> well mechanicjay isn't here yet.. so I guess we'll just wait a bit
[23:59:28] <xlefay> neither is paulej
[23:59:29] <audioguy> Before you destroy yor brain cells with that shit...
[23:59:58] <audioguy> I want toresolve exctly the db issue. Or maybe after the meeting.